Hope is the ability to hear the melody of the future. Faith is the courage to dance to it today.
You can’t do it. You’re not good enough. Why should you try? You’ll never make it.
This voice that taunts your every goal in life. Your voice! You constantly talk to that person daily; in the mirror, in the car, at your desk, in a group of people, standing in line, etc. That voice can slap you harder than any other and you allow it.
“When you doubt your power, you give power to your doubt.” Honore de Balzac
Faith is not something instilled. You must work toward it. It’s not a feeling, it’s a choice. I say this to people all the time. You cannot live on faith alone. It is a work in progress. You can have faith in everything but until you put forth the effort will you find change. Learning how to recognize your self-doubt is crucial. When you say, “I can’t”, “I won’t”, or “I don’t know”, try replacing that phrase with “I’m going to try.”
I’m not saying self-doubt goes away but I am saying that you can learn to deal with it positively. Why doesn’t it ever go away? One reason is because you do not allow it. A second reason is because people will always try to bring you down. It’s like poison in your veins. Here’s the kicker, you let them. Stop allowing others to steal your thunder. Make your statement, not your memo.
Give yourself the path to try and triumph. I promise you can’t go wrong. You must have enough faith to risk whatever it is that you have your sights on. If not, it is just one more day of a missed opportunity. There is not enough room in your mind for both worry and faith. You must decide which one will live there.
Personally, I didn’t have the faith that I would succeed as a personal trainer. Everyone else thought I did, not me! I worried about what people would think, if I was good enough, would people trust me, could I push people beyond their limits to change them, would they have faith in me? Until I stopped worrying how it was going to happen and started believing that it would happen, my feet were planted. It was the day, I had enough faith in myself to shut the door to a classroom that was my comfort zone for more than 14 years and JUMP.
“If you are human, you have struggled with belief.” Paul Carrick Brunson
To believe or have faith in yourself you must…
- Guard your heart. Do not lose this part of yourself. Everyone does not need access to it.
- Disassociate yourself with the crap on social media, gossip, or negativity and replace with inspiration.
- Find your purpose and go after it.
- Train yourself to boost your own self-worth.
- Allow the word “NO” to positively influence you. It does not mean to give up but should drive your faith a little more.
- Accept a compliment. Just say Thank You.
- “Fake it till you make it”. One of my favorite quotes ever. Even if you don’t believe in yourself, own it, work the room, work a conversation, be assertive, and be confident. You can breathe later.
- Never surrender. No one has ever fallen while leaping out on faith.
I am writing a blog. I had the encouragement and faith of others (yet again) that it would work, not in myself. That voice in my head is conniving, manipulative, and can be a real bitch. Pen to paper is all I had to do. Say it, tell the world, help others, give them your story, show them how intimate you are with your passion for fitness and life they said.
Where was my faith in myself? January 2017, my faith became STRONG.